Regrettably, due to spawning of spam pages - only registered users may make edits.
Upgrade the Drupal Core
A minor update - from drupal 7.31 to 7.34 A small gap, but Drupal is urging for systems to be upgraded. Actually, another minor release came out a few weeks ago, that was labeled Highly Urgent - frankly, I'm glad to be catching two security upgrades in one. The reasons for the upgrade (with links to the bad things that could happen, without the upgrade):
- Release Notes: This release fixes security vulnerabilities. Sites are urged to upgrade immediately after reading the notes below and the security announcement:
and previously (on or about Oct. 15) ...
- This release fixes security vulnerabilities. Sites are urged to upgrade immediately after reading the notes below and the security announcement:
[Now that sounds serious ... and it actually probably was. I'll slap my wrist when I'm done.
The Upgrade Process
This will be "minor" upgrade - upgrading from 7.xx to 7.yy is considered minor.
Major upgrade procedures will be in play when the time comes to move from Drupal 7.yy to Drupal 8.aa)
Two sets of instructions exist. If I had more practice at this, the preferred method would be to follow a somewhat automated process - using a direct command line (terminal) connection with the server -
But I need to get in there and get my hands on things - easier to know what your breaking that way - and I like to know what I'm breaking. So I followed these directions:
1. Backup the site.
- This is reasonably easy if you've already install Backup and Migrate module.
2. Download the new release in zipped format - and unzip it. 3. Put your site into maintenance (which it asks you to do for the back up - so I just left it that way). <Delete all the files & folders inside your original Drupal instance except for /sites folder 'and any custom files you added elsewhere.' except for /sites folder 'and any custom files you added elsewhere.' except for /sites folder 'and any custom files you added elsewhere.' 4. I did a little cleanup of orphan files. As you can see in the screen shots, I have a few orphan files and folders flapping around. I also have two other website appendages hanging off of the domaim: wiki.dgbutterworth.com and analytics.dgbutterworth.com. So, while I know for certain that some of the orphan files were left when their mother (Joomla!) moved on to other parts, there are some that I am not 100% positive of their pedigree. I cleaned up some, but saved copies to my local hard drive in case somethings stops working.
go with thI know for certain
Now this is getting interesting ...